|The Crematory of the Washington Cremation Association|
The first crematory in the state of Washington was opened in 1905 under the direction of the Washington Cremation Association. Located on Queen Anne Hill adjacent to Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Arthur Wright was the manager of the facility. The facility included a Chapel for the conduction of services prior to cremation, and the entire basement was composed of columbarium niches of various sizes.
|Above: The Chapel of the Seattle Crematorium|
Below: One of the columbarium rooms in the Crematorium basement
In the 1940s, the historic structure was razed, the basement columbarium being the only part of the structure that remained. A new, larger columbarium was built above and around the basement, and a new funeral home was also built on the property.