In 1937, the Eastern Cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky, constructed the first cremation chamber in their state in the basement of their office building facing Baxter Avenue.
In 1957 the crematory was moved to a new, modern building in the center of the back section of the cemetery. In its time, it was considered a model facility - modern in every way. The columbarium of the facility occupied two wings on either side of the chapel, the cremation chambers in the basement.
In the late 1980s, when issues arose concerning multiple burials in cemetery spaces, the State shut down operations and the facility was abandoned. Cremated remains in the columbarium were eventually removed and placed in the care of the Department of Anthropology at the University of Louisville. After years of vandalism and destruction, the building was cleaned up in 2006 and was permanently sealed.